In this case, a springy lemon-peach upside down cake!
Every great meal deserves to end with a sweet treat. We love to use the Traeger for all elements of a dinner– especially a dinner party– and wow people with something sweet right off the Traeger to end the night. Since the grill is already hot from cooking dinner, it’s super simple to whip something together that can be placed in the grill as we eat, and in no time dessert is done too. This recipe for Super Simple Upside Down Cake on the Traeger is just as it says– super simple– and delicious. It can be adapted to whatever you have on-hand and it’s sure to leave everyone on a sweet note.
BAKING ON THE TRAEGER
For this recipe, we cut some corners to make a delicious Upside Down Cake on the Traeger in no time at all. We used a boxed cake mix– lemon this time– and two cans of fruit. Follow along on our instructions for this super simple cake, which bakes on the Traeger in about 30 minutes.
We assemble this cake in a well-seasoned cast iron pan, which is definitely Traeger-proof and the right size and shape for this kind of cake. Because the pan is well-seasoned, it is nearly nonstick, and the cake pops right out at the end. We used canned fruit because it was easy and kept cleanup very simple. But as farmer’s market season approaches, we have ideas of how to incorporate fresh from the market fruit in this kind of dessert, which will be extra delicious.
Bake this cake in the Traeger just as you would bake it in the oven. The consistency of temperature in a Traeger– due to the convection-style cooking that occurs because of the shape of the cooker– coupled with the slight boost of wood-fired-flavor makes this a really delicious dessert.
If we had time, we would have served it with a dollop of smoked whipped cream. But on this particular spring night, serving it with a squirt of canned whipped cream was the best we could do!
You can make this super simple upside down cake on the Traeger a bit ahead of time (like before the main dish is finished cooking on the grill) and you’ll have it ready to pop in the Traeger just before you sit down to dinner. By the time dinner is done, you can pull out the cake, allow it to cool briefly and serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream!
PRIMARY INGREDIENTS FOR SIMPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- Canned fruit (we used peach halves but any kind of fruit would work)
- Boxed cake mix (we used lemon)
- Eggs (per cake mix directions)
- Oil (per cake mix directions)
- Brown sugar
WHY BAKING ON THE TRAEGER WORKS
Cooking this upside down cake on the Traeger is fun and simple and the results are delicious. The Traeger grills are designed like a very efficient convection oven– where the hot air continuously ciruclates throughout the barrel and as a result the temperatures are very consistent. There aren’t hot spots like with other types of fuel, and the slight tinge of wood-fired smoke adds a flavor dimension to the dish.
We cooked up this super simple upside down cake on the Traeger Timberline XL, which is Traeger’s newest and most efficient grill. The heat is amazingly consistent, the design makes that wood-fired flavor amplified just enough and with the touch of a button (or the touch-screen in this case), you can control the heat perfectly. It was the ideal way to cook up an upside down cake.
- Adjust temperature on your grill to 350*. If you have been cooking on the grill just before, adjust the temperature to 350* and let the temperature level out for about 5 minutes.
- While the grill temperature adjusts, assemble the cake.
- Begin by smearing a light coating on the bottom and sides of the cast iron pan.
- Then sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Nestle the fruit pieces, cut side down, in the brown sugar.
- In a bowl, make the cake mix according to directions. But I like to replace the water that is called for with the juice from the canned fruit. It adds another dimension of flavor.
- Pour prepared cake mix over the fruit in the pan. Smooth the surface.
- Place the pan in the center of the grill and cook for 30 minutes or so (follow the box recipe for guidance).
- Bake the cake until it is just set and no longer wiggly.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Then invert the pan on a plate and serve the cake with whipped cream or ice cream.
RECIPES ON THE TRAEGER SIMILAR TO SIMPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Products used in this cook:
Baking on the Traeger is super fun and an unexpected activity to a lot of novice grillers. While I think it is important to get to know your grill well before starting complex baking, the reality is that the new technology in the Traegers makes them the perfect grilling vessel.
Other dessert/cake recipes I’ve shared include:
- Jewish Apple Cake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- There are also a multitude of baked dishes (think spoon brownies and pecan pie!) in my cookbook, which you can pick up here!
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to know how it turned out!
Leave a review below or snap a photo,
share it on Instagram and tag me at @ThisJewCanQue
Super Simple Upside Down Cake on the Traeger
- Traeger Timberline XL grill
- Lodge cast iron pan
- Can opener
- Bowl and whisk
- Measuring cup
- 2 cans of fruit we used peach halves; reserve the liquid
- 1 boxed cake mix we used lemon
- Eggs per cake directions
- Oil per cake directions
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp butter
- Set grill temperature to 350*
- Prepare the cast iron pan by greasing with butter on sides and bottom
- Spread brown sugar in an even layer on the bottom of the pan
- Top brown sugar with the fruit– cut side down– evenly throughout the pan
- In a bowl, prepare cake mix according to directions, but substitute the reserved fruit juice for the water in the mix
- Pour cake mix over the fruit
- Place the pan in the center of the preheated grill
- Bake at 350* for about 30 minutes, checking occasionally
- When cake is set and no longer wiggly, remove it from the grill
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes
- Invert the pan on a plate and serve the cake warm with ice cream or whipped cream