Looking to mix up your appetizers? How about combining two of the best apps into one?
Ingredients you’ll need for this kind of cook-
- Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese
- Wonton Wrappers
Set grill to 450℉
Place peppers on grill to roast. They will need about 20 minutes. After they are soft and roasted place in a bowl and cover the bowl with saran wrap to let them steam/soften. Set aside for 20-30 minutes. Alternately, you can cook the peppers in your grill on smoke for 1.5 to 2 hours until softened and smoky.
Once you’ve finished cooking the peppers, place a heavy cast iron pan in your grill at the highest heat possible, with about ½ an inch of vegetable oil (I like sunflower oil the best). You want to get the oil screaming hot for a later step.
Place bacon on a cooking sheet to cook in the grill. Cook until your desired doneness.
Now it’s time to stuff the jalapenos.
Take a small knife and cut off the top of each pepper. Then core out the insides and remove the seeds. The seeds can be added back in for added heat if you like.
Chop the cooked bacon up and place a few pieces into each pepper.
Cut the Cabot cheese into ½” slices, then cut each slice into two strips. Stuff each pepper with a couple strips of cheese. Put as much as you can in each one..
Place the stuffed pepper on a large wonton wrapper, and roll like a burrito until the pepper is fully encased. Use lightly beaten egg to seal the seams.
Put a few wrapped peppers at a time in the hot oil in the cast iron pan. Cook for a few minutes per side, watching closely to ensure even brownness. Drain on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt, and serve with a side of sour cream for dipping!
Cabot Pepper Jack Stuffed Jalapeno Rellenos
- Grill, smoker or oven
- 1 block Cabot Creamery pepper jack cheese cut into 1/2 inch sticks
- 12 whole jalapenos
- 6 slices bacon
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat grill to 450°.
- Place whole jalapeno peppers in the grill to roast. Allow to cook for about 20 minutes. They should soften and become a bit blistered.
- Remove from grill and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to steam for 20-30 minutes.
- Alternately, cook peppers on smoker for 1-2 hours until softened. Or roast them in a 400° oven for 15 minutes. Follow directions for steaming/resting as above.
- Meanwhile, place bacon on cookie sheet and cook in grill for 15 minutes until cooked through. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Place heavy cast iron pan in your grill at the highest temperature. Preheat pan until very hot.
- Add about ½ an inch of oil in the pan and allow to get really hot.
Stuff the jalapenos
- Using a small knife, cut top off each pepper. Pull out the core and membrane. You can leave seeds and membrane if you prefer a spicier pepper.
- Cut bacon into small dice.
- Place a few sticks of pepper jack cheese and several pieces of bacon in each pepper. Stuff as much as you can in each pepper.
- Place the stuffed pepper in the center of a large wonton wrapper.
- Roll it like a burrito until the pepper is fully encased. Use lightly beaten egg to seal.
Cook the peppers
- Cook the peppers in small batches in preheated oil. Turn a few times to ensure even crisping on all sides.
- Drain on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and serve with a side of sour cream for dipping!