One of my favorite go to meals is steak tacos. Always a quick and delicious meal, but it’s great for weekends and weeknights alike.
I like to use flank steak but flat irons, skirt steak or hanger steaks will work just as well and you can follow the same directions below..
All these cuts are thinner steaks which makes them perfect for sous vide or a hot and fast cook.
- Flank or Flat Iron Steak
- Hot Sauce
- Favorite Steak or rub for tacos
- Place steak in a shallow pan, bowl or tray with edges.
- Start by squeezing some fresh lemon, lime and orange juice over the steaks on both sides.
- Apply a hot sauce binder on the steak.
- Then sprinkle the rub over the steak and coat well.
- Flip the steak over and repeat that process.
- Cover the steak and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- It can be left in the fridge overnight as well.
- Place in an airtight bag in a sous vide at 131.5 for at least 90 minutes.
- Sous vide is perfect for those thinner cuts. It creates a nice even cook throughout the steak and makes it nice and tender and juicy.
- Preheat your grill to 400 or as hot as you can get it (you want a fast, hot sear).
- Remove the meat from the sous vide and pat dry with a paper towel and place on a plate or tray.
- Apply a little more seasoning and you are ready to sear.
- Using a hot grill or cast iron sear the steak for about 60 seconds a side.
- With sous vide you do not need to worry about a long rest period due to the steak being cooked nice and slow.
- Slice against the grain and you are ready to build your tacos.
Citrus Marinated Flank Steak
- Sous vide machine
- Grill preheated to 400°
- 1 trimmed flank steak
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- your favorite hot sauce
- your favorite rub
- Juice all of the citrus and combine with a generous portion of hot sauce in a shallow pan, bowl or tray.
- Submerge the steak in the liquid, and turn once.
- Then generously sprinkle the rub on both sides of the meat, turning once again.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Set up sous vidfe
- Remove steak from liquid and place in an airtight bag in a sous vide set at 131.5°.
- Cook for at least 90 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 400°.
- Remove meat from sous vide bag, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Apply a bit more seasoning, if you’d like.
- Sear for 60 seconds per side.
- Slice against the grain and enjoy.